Healthy Wirral is the plan to re-shape health services and social care in Wirral, whilst supporting people to take more responsibility for looking after their own health.
Over the next 20 years the number of people aged over 85 will more than double, meaning many more people with multiple, long term health conditions and increased financial pressures.
However the challenges also present opportunities. Healthy Wirral will transform GP, primary care, community health, hospital and social care services in Wirral. It will mean:
- Community based health services (eg access to GPs, community nurses and social workers) seven days a week
- More hospital services in the community, with consultant led teams
- Health and social care professionals working together for people with ongoing needs: one assessment, one care plan, one key coordinator
- Specialist in-patient hospital care for those that need it
- Support for people to look after themselves and stay healthy
Healthy Wirral: To ensure the residents of Wirral enjoy the best quality of life possible, being supported to make informed choices about their own care, and being assured of the highest quality services.
We are a key player in Healthy Wirral along with our other local healthcare partners including NHS Wirral Clinical Commissioning Group, Wirral Community NHS Foundation Trust, Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and Wirral Council.
Diabetes Policy (June 2018)
An important focus of Healthy Wirral has been the partnership work around diabetes.
As part of this a new Diabetes Policy for care homes has been produced. It offers the care homes evidence-based, standardised information about diabetes which will support the care they deliver to their residents. It can also be used as a reference guide and teaching resource for new and existing care staff. The policy has an audit tool so care homes can also audit their standards of diabetes care in each home.
The policy was approved by the Healthy Wirral partnership and has now been endorsed by NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence).
Please click on the document at the bottom of the page to view the Diabetes Policy.
What is Healthy Wirral?
The way we support our community to stay healthy, happy and well is changing.
Healthy Wirral aims to transform the way health and wellbeing services are designed and delivered in Wirral, by putting people at the centre of everything.
It is being designed and developed with people and colleagues right across Wirral, and is here to change how we think about health and well-being for good.
How has Healthy Wirral come about?
In 2015, Wirral Health and Social Care Partners were successful in a bid to NHS England to become one of 50 Vanguard” areas in England.
This means that Wirral is being supported nationally (both practically and financially) to bring about a genuine transformation in the way health and social care services better work together to make sure patients are supported to stay well in ways that suit them.
In Wirral, we’re working towards creating a Primary and Acute Care Services (PACS) model of care, defined by NHS England.
Who is leading Healthy Wirral?
The Healthy Wirral Team leads the agenda to deliver a range of projects to support the move towards a more integrated health and social care system in Wirral.
The team also lead on communications and engagement around supporting healthier behaviours to support people in Wirral to live healthier, happier lives.
It works on behalf of all Wirral Partners, including:
- NHS Wirral Clinical Commissioning Group
- Wirral Community NHS Foundation Trust
- Wirral Council
- Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- GPs across the borough
How will Healthy Wirral work?
Healthy Wirral is all about:
- Right choices - Supporting smarter, healthier choices.
- Right chances - Helping everyone in Wirral to have the best start in life and access to the right services for them.
- Right time - Supporting everyone right through their lives – and making they can access support when they need to
- Right care - Working as one big team across Wirral, and using technology to help people be more independent.
- Right place - Bringing services into people’s homes and communities
- Right partnerships - Working together for and with our community
- Right attitude - Moving from “what’s the matter with me?” to “what matters to me?”
What are the outcomes of Healthy Wirral?
Healthy Wirral will bring about, better:
- Outcomes - People living longer, healthier, happier lives, regardless of where they live in Wirral.
- Experience - People having positive experiences of care in Wirral; only having to ‘tell their story once’ and accessing the right care, in the right time, in the right place.
- Value - Ensuring our NHS and local council can meet the needs of our community for future generations.
Diabetes Policy, Modified: 15/06/2018 4:37PM | Download: Diabetes Policy