Awards and Accreditations
As a major NHS acute hospital trust for Wirral and the surrounding region, we hold many important accreditations:
- Investor in People (IIP) accredited organisation.
- NHSLA Level 2 accreditation.
- Level 3 General Medical Council accreditation.
- Our Trust Library and Knowledge Service is assessed as 97% compliant with the Library Quality Assurance Framework
- Accredited centre to deliver the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) introductory certificate.
- Accreditation to be a student training provider for the University of Chester for Dietetics which is reviewed on a regular basis. The Trust was last reviewed in 2012 and has been an approved trainer for consecutive years since the University of Chester started offering the dietetics course.
- Emergency Department accredited as a Trauma Unit which was awarded by the Cheshire and Merseyside Major Trauma Network.
- Critical Care Unit accredited for intermediate and advanced level Intensive Care Medicine training.
- The Trust accredited by the renal network as having as having 2 regional critical care renal beds.
- The Renal Unit achieved Practise Development Unit (PDU) status in 2009 with Leeds University and has successfully achieved re-accreditation in 2013. This demonstrates the renal unit is a leader in change and innovation providing the highest standard of renal care.
- Accredited Endometriosis Centre
- Accredited Colposcopy Service
- Microbiology is an accredited Institute of Biomedical Science Training Laboratory. It was approved by the Institute of Biomedical Science for specialist training in Medical Microbiology (valid until 03/10/2017).
- MacMillan Quality Environment award (MQEM) for Ward 30
- Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Our Occupational Health Department service is accredited by the Safe Effective Quality Occupational Health Service Scheme (SEQOHS) and is able to evidence a high level of excellence in how we manage and deliver our services.
- Royal College of Physicians’ Joint Accreditation Group on Gastrointestinal (GI) Endoscopy accreditation
- Defence Employer Recognition Award - Bronze Level
And in addition to the above:
- The Urogynaecology Service is currently working towards the service being accredited for the BLISS Baby Charter.
- The Neonatal Unit has completed the work for the BLISS Baby Charter and are awaiting confirmation of accreditation.
- Navajo Merseyside & Cheshire LGBTIQA+ Charter Mark (sponsored by In-Touch Merseyside and supported by the LGBTIQA+ Community networks across Merseyside) – The Trust was delighted to have received this prestigious accreditation for the first time in 2019 and we were re-accredited in 2022. The Chartermark recognises the efforts that Wirral University Teaching Hospital have made in trying to improve services and support for our LGBTIQA+ staff, patients and wider community across Merseyside. Whilst it is acknowledged that there are still areas for improvement, the Chartermark recognises the Trust’s commitment to making improvements and the steps taken. Click here for more details on the Navajo Chartermark.
- Disability Confident Employer - The Trust is proud to have progressed to level 2 of the Government’s disability confident scheme and are currently a Disability Confident Employer. The scheme looks to encouraging employers to think differently about disability and take action to improve how they recruit, retain and develop disabled people. A staff network is in place, with staff meeting regularly to provide support to each other and to look at identifying and progressing actions to ensure improvements for disabled staff and patients.
- Our Diversity & Inclusion Steering Group were awarded the National Unsung Heroes Award in 2020.
- We have applied for Veteran Aware accreditation and are awaiting the results.