What we do
Our Women and Children’s Hospital provides a specialist Endometriosis Service.
The unit is a nationally accredited centre for the treatment of endometriosis and performs extensive surgical procedures in this speciality.
Many surgeons within the unit have specialist interests in laparoscopic surgery (also called minimally invasive surgery or keyhole surgery) and are constantly striving to improve techniques, procedures and services for patients. As a result of this the unit is also a training establishment for laparoscopic procedures for medical staff throughout the country.
This can be quite a common condition in which small pieces of the womb lining (the endometrium) are found outside the womb. This could be in the Fallopian tubes, ovaries, bladder, bowel, vagina or rectum.
Services we have available include
- Routine gynaecological investigations such as ultrasounds and MRI
- Medical treatment options such as GnRH injections
- Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgical treatment options including excision of recto vaginal endometriosis
- Multi-disciplinary input where required (for example operations may be jointly carried out with the colo-rectal or urological surgical team)
- may include blood tests, pelvic ultrasound, CT or MRI scans
- diagnostic laparoscopy may be needed to establish a diagnosis
Mr David Rowlands and Mr Tom Aust are the surgeons for the endometriosis service and run weekly out-patient clinics. Other consultants have an interest in endometriosis and may also see patients in their general clinics.
Mr Darren Smith is a colo-rectal surgeon who specialises in laparoscopic surgery and assists in some cases where the bowel is involved.
Patients should be referred by their GP via choose and book or directly to Mr Rowlands or Mr Aust.
Where are we based
Out-patient clinics are held on the ground floor of the Wirral Women and Children’s Hospital.
How to contact us
For general enquiries please contact Mr Rowlands’ secretary on 0151 604 7357, or Mr Aust's secretary on 0151 604 7060.