[Skip to Content]
Wirral University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Urogynaecology and Pelvic Floor Clinic

We offer a comprehensive service for women of all ages who suffer with bladder and bowel incontinence and prolapse of the genital organs. This service works in tandem with the Wirral Integrated Continence Service.

In addition to providing a specialist service for women with recurrent prolapse, we are also a national training centre for reconstructive and pelvic floor surgery.

  • Conditions this service specialises in includes:
  • Pelvic floor disorders including prolapse and bladder dysfunction
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Overactive bladder syndrome
  • Recurrent urinary tract infections
  • Pelvic floor and perineal disorders after childbirth
  • Minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery
  • Mesh-related complications
  • Treatments and investigations

Your first appointment will include a number of questions to establish the extent of the problem. An internal examination may be performed with full consent. History taking and examination is performed in comfortable bespoke clinics. We also offer:

State of the art urodynamic investigations allows treatment which is tailored to your needs. If there is thought to be a bladder problem, urodynamics investigations may be performed by a specialist nurse. A toilet connected to a computer is used to analyse how well your bladder is functioning.
A dedicated physiotherapy service across all of our hospital sites
An outpatient facility to deliver:

  • Botox into the bladder
  • Cystoscopy of the bladder
  • PTNS for the relief of bladder symptoms

Possible treatments involve pelvic floor exercises and bladder and bowel training, carried out by the physiotherapist and clinical nurse specialist either on an individual basis or in group settings. There are a number of different medications, and in some cases surgery may provide the solution to your problem.
We work in a modern complete hospital to deliver the best surgical and medical care to you no matter what your medical problems.

Patients should be referred directly to this service by their GP or other health professional.