What happens at the clinic
The Wirral TB Service is led by the Senior TB specialist nurse Lesley Brogelli. The TB service work closely with the Respiratory Consultants and we specialise in caring and treating people with TB and preventing its spread. Our service is used by children and adults on the Wirral with suspected or confirmed TB.
- Support during and after the investigation and diagnostic process
- Health promotion and advice to patients, carers and healthcare professionals.
- Raise awareness of TB with healthcare professional and community groups.
- BCG vaccination (please see referral criteria)
We provide screening for patients who are:
- Close contacts of someone with TB
- New entrants to the UK from counties of high incidence
- Occupation Health
- HIV positive
- Immunocompromised or undertaking immunosuppressive therapy
We provide this service in hospital either as an inpatient, outpatient in clinic or with home visits. All newly diagnosed patients need to be seen so we can identify people who may have been in close contact with them and arrange TB screening.