Orthoptists diagnose and manage binocular vision and eye movement disorders in patients of all ages. We detect squints, amblyopia (lazy eye), as well as other visual and eye muscle defects (which can sometimes cause symptoms of double vision, eye strain and headaches). We work closely with the optometrists and ophthalmologists in the management of these conditions.
Our team of orthoptists are based and run clinics at Arrowe Park Hospital but also hold a number of clinics in the community at the following locations:
- St Catherine’s Health Centre, Church Road, Birkenhead
- Victoria Central Health Centre, Mill Lane, Wallasey
- New Ferry Health Centre, Sefton Road
- Eastham Clinic, Eastham Rake
- Moreton Health Centre, Pasture Road
- West Kirby Health Centre, The Concourse
- Townfield Health Centre, Townfield Close, Noctorum
- Heswall Clinic, Telegraph Road
Orthoptic screening and review clinics are also held at Stanley, Elleray Park, Lyndale and Hayfield Special Schools.
We work with other departments within our hospitals, including the stroke service and maxillofacial department, providing orthoptic investigation and management of patients.
We welcome referrals directly to Arrowe Park Hospital or to our community clinics from GPs, opticians, health visitors, school vision screeners as well as other health care professionals.