The fertility clinic at our Women and Children’s Hospital provides a consultant delivered service for the investigation and treatment of couples with fertility problems. Our aim is to complete investigations in a prompt and timely manner so treatment can start within 6 weeks of initial consultation. IVF services are then provided by the Hewitt Centre at Liverpool Women’s Hospital.
We are able to provide the following services:
- Full fertility investigations (female and male)
- Lifestyle and pre-pregnancy advice
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome management
- Ovulation induction monitoring
- Ovarian reserve testing
- Investigation of recurrent miscarriage
- Intrauterine insemination
- Counselling and support
Our team of highly skilled laparoscopic surgeons can carry out procedures such as fibroid removal, excision of adhesions or excision of endometriosis.
Couples are usually seen together and basic investigations may include blood tests, pelvic ultrasound and semenalysis.
More advanced investigations may include:
- HyCoSy – ultrasound examination with contrast medium to examine the uterine cavity and fallopian tubes
- HSG – x-ray examination with contrast medium to examine the uterine cavity and fallopian tubes
- Ultrasound examination for ovulation (follicle tracking)
- Laparoscopy and Dye – a keyhole operation to examine the abdominal cavity and fallopian tubes
- Hysteroscopy – a telescope examination of the inside of the uterus. This can be performed in outpatients where small fibroids or polyps can be removed and usually does not need an anaesthetic
- Investigations for male fertility problems are supported by our colleagues in the urology department.
Patients requiring this service should be referred to us by their GP.