Journey through Childbirth
Confirmation of pregnancy
Once pregnancy has been confirmed, your GP will send a referral letter to the maternity unit or give you a reference number which will enable you to access the Choose and Book system. Further information is available at www.chooseandbook.nhs.uk or by calling the Wirral Booking Office on 0151 604 7501. When calling the Wirral Booking Office, please have your reference number and password available.
Women will have the option to be booked face to face at a designated clinic or virtally via the telephone. Women usually attend at 10-12 weeks from the last menstrual period. Should any complications occur before this time, women will be seen at the Early Pregnancy Unit.
Booking-in can take up to an hour and a half and involves the following:
- Ultrasound scan to confirm the pregnancy and gestational age, giving the expected date of delivery.
- A named Community Midwife will be allocated to each woman for her care throughout
- Detailed medical and pregnancy history is obtained and entered onto the computer system
- Blood samples will be taken or arranged if a telephone booking, taken with consent, for analysis.
- Screening options will be discussed and detailed information is available in our parent education section
- Risk assessment by midwife:
- Women with low risk pregnancies will be offered midwife-led care within the community and delivery at home, the birth center or in the Midwife-Led Unit (MLU)
- Women with potential medical or obstetric difficulties will be offered Consultant-led care, professional support from High Risk Midwives and Delivery Suite births
- Specialist Midwives may become involved, if indicated
- Public Health advice, supporting literature and contact numbers will be given
- Choice of Place of Birth will be offered to all women. Home births are actively encouraged for low risk women
- Weight and height will be requested and recorded. Women with a raised Body Mass Index (BMI) will be advised and referred for a GTT (sugar level test), later in the pregnancy
- Plan of Antenatal care given to each woman and follow-up appointment made for 20 week scan
- Individual hand-held notes will be given to each woman
- A Mental Health assessment will be completed and discussed
For further information, please see related links to the left had side of this page.