Library and Trust Training
Request Information Skills Training
We deliver training to groups or individuals, at a time and in a location convenient to you. We can tailor the content of the sessions below to suit your requirements. Please contact us for more details.
First Steps in Searching
Do you need to take the first steps in understanding how to find evidence, for example to gain an overview of a clinical condition, treatment or for revalidation purposes?
How to find information and evidence via:
– NICE Evidence Search
– BMJ Best Practice
– Google Advanced Search
Anyone can do it.
You can then go on to do:
Finding the Evidence
Do you need to find the evidence (guidelines, journal articles etc.) to support your daily clinical practice, research or audit activities, to prepare for a presentation or teaching, or simply to keep up to date? On this session you’ll learn:
• How to develop a research or clinical question into an effective search strategy
• How to apply search techniques effectively (using AND/OR, wildcards, applying limits, using the thesaurus)
• Key health information resources (NHS Evidence, BMJ Best Practice, Pubmed, The Cochrane Library, Medline, CINAHL and other health databases)
• Searching Google effectively
Introduction to Critical Appraisal
Do you need to develop your critical reading skills? Interested in finding out how to spot the strengths and weaknesses of research studies?
On this session you’ll learn:
• The benefits of critical appraisal
• The key features of different study types
• How to apply critical appraisal techniques to a published piece of research
• How to access critical appraisal tools and resources to help you
We also provide training for writing activities, including
Writing for the Care Certificate
Writing for Nurse Revalidation
In addition to the above training courses, we also provide support for those undertaking Writing for Publication and Computers for the Terrified, a course customised to your individual needs.
To request Library training, please fill in the Library Training request from via the link below.
For details of Wirral University Teaching Hospital training please see the Training Prospectus at the bottom of the page.