Your Library and Knowledge Service produces a growing series of Library helpsheets to guide you through NHS resources. Please see the documents at the bottom of the page. If there is a resource that you would like us to create a helpsheet for, please contact us via the ‘Ask a Librarian’ enquiry service.
Library Helpsheet No. 1: Creating and using an Open Athens account
To access any of the free NHS electronic resources, you will require an Open Athens username and password. This helpsheet guides you through registering for an Open Athens account via the NICE Evidence website and shows you how to log in to your free NHS resources.
Library Helpsheet No. 2: How do I obtain the full text of a journal article?
Do you have a reference for an article you would like to read but aren’t sure where to go to get a full text copy of the article? This helpsheet will show you how to locate the journal you require using the print and electronic journals available to you.
Library Helpsheet No. 3: Using the Library Catalogue
This helpsheet offers tips on searching the book and journals collections held on the Wirral University Teaching Hospital (WUTH) online library catalogue.
Library Helpsheet No. 4: Evaluating web resources
When searching for health information on the internet, evaluating the web resources you encounter is vital. This helpsheet offers tips on evaluating the relevance, authority, objectivity and accuracy of web resources. It also contains a quick guide to URLs and can point you towards further online resources.
Library Helpsheet No. 5: Emerald Research Pass
Emerald journals and eBooks cover a broad spectrum of content, including; mental health, nutrition and health service leadership and organisation.
Our Research Pass subscription provides access to over 200,000 eJournal articles and chapters from over 2,900 ebooks.
Library Helpsheet No. 6: Resources for critical appraisal
Critical appraisal is the process of accessing and interpreting research evidence by systematically considering its validity, reliability and relevance before using it to inform a decision. This helpsheet provides an introduction to critical appraisal and guides you towards some useful resources.
Library Helpsheet No. 7: Accessing Electronic Journals via Science Direct
This helpsheet shows you how to access and login to electronic journals available via ScienceDirect
Library Helpsheet No. 8: Statistics in healthcare
This helpsheet provides a list of library books and online resources to guide in compiling statistics for your audit or research.
Library Helpsheet No. 9: UpToDate
This helpsheet shows you how to access UpToDate and how to install the UpToDate app for your mobile device.
Library Helpsheet No. 10: Accessing the new Kortext ebooks collection
This helpsheet show you how to access the Kortext ebooks collection.
Library Helpsheet No. 11: Anatomy TV
This helpsheet shows how to access Primal Pictures Anatomy TV and make use of the various features including the interactive 3-D atlas, MRI slides and the animations in the Functional Anatomy section.
Library Helpsheet No. 12: Postgraduate Medical Examination Resources
This helpsheet provides a list of online resources to guide in compiling statistics for doctors undertaking medical examinations.
Library Helpsheet No. 13: Proquest Hospital PremiumCollection
A quick gude to using the functionality to search the for full text articles in the Proquest Hospital Premium Collection
Library Helpsheet No. 14: Oxford Medicine Online
Step-by-step instructions on how to access Oxford Medicine Online via NICE Evidence and via the Library catalogue. This resource contains the full text of over 200 titles from the Oxford Handbooks, Oxford Specialist handbooks, Oxford Textbooks and the ‘Emergencies in’ series.
Library Helpsheet No. 15: How to access journals purchased by CCC from home or work
This helpsheet is specifically for accessing specialist oncology and radiology journals which have been subscribed to by Clatterbridge Cancer Centre for use by CCC staff and students on placement at CCC.
Library Help Sheet 16: BMJ Best Practice
Takes you to the latest evidence based information, whenever and wherever you need it. It provides step-by-step guidance on diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention is updated daily using robust evidence based methodology and expert opinion.
Here are also the links for Help Guides for Nice Evidence Search and Help Guides for Healthcare Databases Advanced Search
Useful tutorials on the features of Healthcare Databases Advanced Search (HDAS), produced by NICE
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRbwbc3dfXUO3IYIun-5ICK-Q059JXtgk are also available.
- Helpsheet 1 Creating and Using Your Open Athens Account Modified: 31/07/2020 9:35AM | Download:
- Helpsheet 2 How Do I Obtain the Full Text of a Journal Article? Modified: 10/08/2018 10:03AM | Download:
- Helpsheet 3 Using the Library Modified: 22/08/2018 4:02PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 4 Evaluating Web Resources Modified: 31/07/2020 9:36AM | Download:
- Helpsheet 5 Emerald Research Pass Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 6 Resources for Critical Appraisal Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 7 Accessing Electronic Journals via Science Direct Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 8 Statistics in Health Care Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 9 UpToDate Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 10 Accessing the new Kortext ebooks collection Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 11 Anatomy TV Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 12 Postgraduate Examination Resources Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 13 Proquest Hospital Premium Collection Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 14 Oxford Handbooks Online Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 15 Accessing Electronic Journals Purchased By CCC Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download:
- Helpsheet 16 BMJ Best Practice Modified: 12/05/2021 2:22PM | Download: