Log in now to make the most of our website

Physiotherapy Services

Physiotherapists help and treat patients of all ages. They address problems with movement dysfunction and pain during movement.

The majority of our physiotherapists will work at either Arrowe Park Hospital or Clatterbridge Hospital. They provide physiotherapy in the following specialities:

  • Emergency Department areas including Medical Assessment Unit 
  • Amputees 
  • Care of older people 
  • Neurology (brain injury therapy, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis) 
  • Orthopaedics and trauma 
  • Men’s health 
  • Musculoskeletal Outpatients 
  • Paediatrics 
  • Respiratory Care 
  • Stroke Rehabilitation 
  • Surgery 
  • Women’s health

We have a team of physiotherapists working at Victoria Central Health Centre in Wallasey as part of the Parkinson’s disease service. We also provide services to children in specialist schools and mainstream education.

Why choose us?
Our Physiotherapy Service is dedicated to providing the highest possible care for every patient. We aim to provide an efficient and effective service with all rights and dignities preserved for the patient.

We have clinical specialist physiotherapists in back pain, lower limb, shoulders and hands. They are experts in the assessment and treatment of complex problems within these areas and have close links with our orthopaedic consultants.

If for any reason you cannot attend an appointment, please call us on 0151 604 7045 as soon as possible.


Frequently asked questions

How long will I have to wait for an appointment?
As a service we aim to see patients in an appropriate and timely manner. If for any reason you cannot attend an appointment, please inform us on 0151 604 7045 as soon as possible.

How many treatment sessions will I need?
It is not possible to define this as each case is individual and it will depend on how you are responding to treatment.

Will I see the same physiotherapist for treatment?
The majority of patients will see the same physiotherapist on each visit. However there are several situations when this is not possible and your care may be transferred to another member of staff.

Our junior and senior staff also rotate around different specialties within the hospital to increase their knowledge and skills. This occurs at a set time during the year and it may be necessary to transfer your treatment to another therapist. Your physiotherapist may also ask for another member of staff to see you in order to get advice on how to progress treatment.

Can I ask to see a male or female physiotherapist?
Yes. When you are contacted to make an appointment please let the reception staff know if you have a preference and we will endeavour to accommodate you. If there is a reason why we cannot accommodate your request we will inform you in order for you to make a decision.

Will I be assessed/treated by a student?
As a teaching hospital we have a commitment to under-graduate education and take students on placement form several local universities. When we are making new appointments for a student we will inform you and ask for your permission to book that appointment. All our students are supervised by an experienced outpatient physiotherapist.

My local hospital is near where I live but I work much nearer to Arrowe Park Hospital / Clatterbridge Hospital. Can I have my treatment there?
Yes. We need a referral either from your GP or from your consultant.

My nearest hospital is Victoria Central Health Centre in Wallasey. Why am I being asked to attend Arrowe Park Hospital?
It may be in a very few cases that the specialist physiotherapy your require e.g following hand surgery that you need to attend Arrowe Park or Clatterbridge hospitals.

What happens when I am discharged?
Your physiotherapist will discuss the discharge arrangements with you so that you are aware of what the plan is. He/she will write to your GP or consultant and inform them of the outcome of your physiotherapy and inform them of any on-going plans.

What happens if my problem gets worse?
While having treatment you should inform your physiotherapist of any change in your condition or general health as this may influence your treatment plan and we will discuss with you any changes to the management of your problem.

After discharge from physiotherapy, if there are changes in your condition, you will need to contact your GP or your Consultant.

What do I do with crutches or aids supplied by the hospital that I no longer use?
Crutches should be returned to the hospital at either your GP Practice or physiotherapy appointment. Any other equipment such as Zimmer aids, commodes etc should be returned to:

Community Equipment Loan Store,
Unit 3 Plantation Court,
Plantation Road,
CH62 3QS.

#PROUD to care for you