- For Care ▼
- For Volunteering ▼
- For Work ▼
- For Events ▼
Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is committed to:
- achieving high quality teaching for all staff
- providing an inspired learning experience around all aspects of patient care
- attracting, developing and retaining a highly skilled workforce, leading directly to high quality patient care
We are proud to say we are Investors in People accredited. We also take pride in our teaching through learning and development.
We recognise that patient care is at the heart of everything we do. It’s important our staff are able to adapt and grow to meet the challenges of a changing working environment.
Staff development is an integral part in ensuring we have a skilled and knowledgeable workforce. Through the appraisal process, we make sure that all staff are clear about what is expected of them, that they gain regular feedback and agree how their learning and development needs are met.
Our Human Resources (HR) and Organisational Development (OD) department supports, develops and delivers a range of educational opportunities to enable the continuous development of our staff. As well as actively supporting learning and development in the classroom, we also believe in learning in a work environment where possible.
OD has several departments, all with excellent facilities, across both of our main hospital sites at Arrowe Park and Clatterbridge. These include:
- Leadership and Development Centre
- Clinical Skills
- Education Centre
- Undergraduate Centre
- McArdle Library
The Leadership and Development Centre is dedicated to the provision of a high quality range of training and development programmes. These support our vision and are aligned to our values. Our staff are committed to provide the highest quality of service to learners to enhance patient care and experiences. We are proud of our excellent success rates achieved year on year.
The CEDT provide excellent training packages to our staff that has a direct impact upon patient safety. We run a variety of internal and external courses ranging from clinical skills to nationally accredited resuscitation courses and training in first aid and aggression management. We have a fully functional clinical skills laboratory, simulation suite and resuscitation training room.
Practice educational facilitators ensure the provision of high quality learning environments for all pre and post registration students within our Trust. They assist in ensuring that every student receives an outstanding clinical placement experience, which meets both quality assurance standards and regulatory body requirements.
The Education Centre plays a vital role in the provision of education and teaching for all staff. The facilities hold a wide range of educational courses including professional exams for doctors in training and medical students. The centres support our commitment to ensure that all staff working in all disciplines and departments are fully trained and competent to fulfil their role. Teaching, learning and seeking knowledge is vital to ensure that the workforce is equipped to provide the highest level of service to the patients we serve.
The Education Centre is based at Arrowe Park Hospital and has a range of facilities:
- 163 seat lecture theatre
- 8 seminar rooms of varying sizes
- Large dining room
The Education Centre also includes the Trust Library and Knowledge service. This is named the McArdle Library.
Our Undergraduate Education Centre provides dedicated teaching and study facilities for medical students from the School of Medical Education at the University of Liverpool. Students from the 2nd, 4th and 5th years are attached to our Trust for varying periods throughout the year. The education programme for the students and their welfare whilst in the hospital are the responsibility of the Clinical Sub Deans, with the assistance of the centre administrators. The Undergraduate Centre is situated within the main body of the hospital and offers a wide range of facilities. These include:
- Study Facilities. There are18 individual study booths which can also be converted to a small meeting room if required
- IT Suite. Our IT Suite is equipped with computers, all MS Office 2003 and linked to the internet. There is a networked printer and facilities for photocopying
- Teaching Rooms (2). These are equipped with computers and projectors, overhead projectors and slide projectors, flip chart, skeleton and examination couch. These rooms are used for timetabled teaching sessions
- Common Room. Primarily this is an informal area where students can relax. It is equipped with easy chairs, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, microwave oven and a TV and video. There is an area with tables and chairs that can be used to hold small meetings or to eat at
- Library Facilities. Undergraduates also have full use of the McArdle Library situated within the Education Centre at Arrowe Park Hospital. All undergraduates are issued with a library card, which affords them 24 hour access.
Our Trust is an accredited Investors in People (IIP) organisation. We originally started to work with IIP in the early 1990s not long after the Investors in People standard was launched and we are extremely proud to have had a long standing accreditation.
What is Investors in People?
The Investors in People Standard is a business improvement tool designed to help employers improve performance by linking staff development and skills acquisition to the specific aims and objectives of our businesses, to assess and improve the performance of our employees.
At the heart of our business is the quality of care that we give to our patients. It’s extremely important that the organisation has a complete picture that our staff can understand:
- The vision and goals of the organisation
- Their contribution to the experience of our patients
- The importance of the delivering quality care
- The importance of having an effective workforce
- The importance of being competent and efficient
- The importance of continuous professional development
- The importance of best practice
The Trust has found the external assessment of the Investors in People accreditation to be an essential component in gathering information that can improve our performance.